|(Courtesy of Dale Crawford)
Above - Dale Crawford sandwiched between Roy and Dale at Iversons Ranch circa late 1980s.
(Courtesy of Ancel Cook)
Above - a great shot of Roy Rogers relaxing and chatting at his Museum in Victorville, California.
(Courtesy of Ancel Cook)
Above - Ancel Cook and an older Roy Rogers, without his usual cowboy outfit, at the Rogers Museum in Victorville, California..
(Courtesy of Joe Taylor & Patty Corbett)
Above photo at the Allen County War Memorial Coliseum, Fort Wayne, Indiana, 1953 --- from L-to R are Don Myers (Coliseum Manager), Roy Rogers and Joe Taylor of the Red Birds country-western singing group. Roy was there with his sidekick Pat Brady, singing and having his horse Trigger go through his paces. Dale Evans was not along for this performance.
(Courtesy of Joe Taylor & Patty Corbett)
Above - Gene Autry and Joe Taylor of the Red Birds country-western singing group, at the Buck Lake Ranch near Fort Wayne, Indiana, 1955. Gene did several performances, and sang his movie ballads and strummed his guitar. Gene had Champion perform some tricks.
(Courtesy of Donn & Nancy Moyer)
Above are Gene Autry and singin' cowboy Fred Scott at Autry's in Palm Springs, Christmas 1982.
(Courtesy of Minard Coons)Gene and Jackie Autry (1992 photo)
Lots of links on Hoppy, Gene and Roy
- In June, 2015, the official Gene Autry Entertainment organization launched a YouTube channel with tunes, film clips, more: https://www.youtube.com/user/geneautryofficial
as well as Google + page: https://plus.google.com/114677570148020005854/posts
- The official Gene Autry website is at: http://www.autry.com, and they have a section devoted to Gene's biography, World War II military duty, the many Champions, Gene's films-TV-radio-record career, and more: http://www.autry.com/geneautry/
Gene's Cowboy Code is at: http://www.autry.com/geneautry/geneautry_cowboycode.html
- Gene Autry was inducted into the Texas Country Music Hall of Fame in 1998: https://www.tcmhof.com/latest-inductees/17-inductees-1998
- April, 2013: the Roy Rogers and Dale Evans official website at royrogers.com is being rebuilt: http://www.royrogers.com/
- Cheryl Rogers-Barnett is the adopted daughter of Roy Rogers and his first wife, Arline. Cheryl's website is at: https://www.cherylrogers.com/
- U.S. Television Office, Inc. is the owner and copyright holder of Hopalong Cassidy, and their official Hoppy website is at: http://www.hopalong.com/
- The Country Music Hall of Fame winners include Tex Ritter, Bob Wills, Gene Autry, the Sons of the Pioneers, Johnny Bond, Roy Rogers: http://www.countrymusichalloffame.org/full-list-of-inductees/
- The Nashville Songwriters Foundation Hall Of Fame includes Gene Autry, Jimmy Wakely, Johnny Bond, Smiley Burnette, Ray Whitley, Tex Ritter, Bob Nolan, Bob Wills, more. The link below will take you to their website and when you get there, click on 'Hall of Fame' in the links bar at the top of the page: http://www.nashvillesongwritersfoundation.com/
- The Western Music Association Hall of Fame winners include Johnny Bond, Tex Ritter, Bob Wills, Gene Autry, the Sons of the Pioneers, Roy Rogers, Jimmy Wakely, Monte Hale, lots more: http://www.westernmusic.org/hall-of-fame
- You can check the number of stars given to Roy, Gene, Hoppy (and other cowboy heroes) at the Hollywood Walk of Fame website: http://www.walkoffame.com/
- The reelclassics website has a list of the Quigley Publishing Annual Top Ten MoneyMakers Poll from 1932-1970, and that includes Gene Autry and Roy Rogers in the 1940s: http://www.reelclassics.com/Articles/General/quigleytop10-article.htm
- Although some of the data is incomplete or inaccurate, the Internet Movie Database (IMDB) has information on:
Roy Rogers: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001678/
William Boyd: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0101955/
Gene Autry: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000810/
- Recent information is that Gene's real name was Orvon Grover Autry, not Orvon Gene Autry. Alas, the additional information on this is no longer available at the Autry/Autrey genealogical site on Cornelius Autry lineage: http://www.autreyheritage.com
- Stan Rojo has gotta have one of the largest collections of Gene Autry memorabilia: http://www.autrycollection.com/
- Gene Autry was inducted into the Radio Hall of Fame in 2003: http://www.radiohof.org/gene%20autry.htm
- There's a website on Newhall, California and the Melody Ranch / Monogram Ranch movie location which was later owned by Gene Autry: http://www.scvhistory.com/scvhistory/sg032903.htm
- The Happy Trails Children's Foundation helps children in need, and also sponsors the Roy Rogers and Dale Evans Festival: http://www.happytrails.org/
- Henry Crowell did an interesting article on his work and association with Gene Autry and Champion: http://scvleon.com/newhall/crowell.htm
- The Autry National Center, formed in 2003 by the merger of the Autry Museum of Western Heritage with the Southwest Museum of the American Indian and the Women of the West Museum, is at: http://theautry.org/
- The annual Hopalong Cassidy Festival was held the first weekend of May in Cambridge, Ohio. 2015 was the 25th Hoppy Festival ... and the last: http://www.daily-jeff.com/local%20news/2015/05/01/hopalong-cassidy-festival-riding-off-into-the-sunset
- Jim Tipton's Find A Grave website has information and pictures on the interment locations for:
Gene Autry (marker shows Orvon Gene Autry): http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=3739
William Boyd (marker shows William Boyd and Hopalong Cassidy): http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=2123
Roy Rogers (marker shows Leonard Franklin Slye and Roy Rogers): http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=3206
Arlene Rogers (Roy's wife-passed away in 1946): http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=6977
Dale Evans (marker shows Francis Octavia Smith and Dale Evans Rogers): http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=4218
- The Roy Rogers World website has info and images on Roy, Dale, Trigger, Buttermilk, Bullet (the dog), the films and TV show, more: http://www.royrogersworld.com
- During 1999, the American Film Institute (AFI) conducted a poll to determine the 'Greatest American Screen Legends'. Not many of our cowboy heroes and heroines made the final cut, but you can see the full list of the nominees, and included are Gene Autry, William Boyd, Roy Rogers, Tom Mix and Gabby Hayes: http://www.afi.com/Docs/100Years/stars500.pdf
|Images of Roy Rogers, Dale Evans and Trigger are Copyright © Roy Rogers Enterprises, and the names Trigger, Roy Rogers and Dale Evans are trademarks of Roy Rogers.|
Images of Gene Autry and Champion are Copyright © Gene Autry Survivors Trust, and the names Gene Autry and Champion are trademarks of the Gene Autry Survivors Trust.
The Hopalong Cassidy name, character, films, stories and likenesses are trademarked and Copyrighted © U.S. Television Office, Inc.